- Grab a kettle bell, 53 lbs. used in this video
- Sit down with leg extended, resting lower leg on its side.
- Use kettle bell to perform soft tissue mobilization into the gastrocnemius and soleus muscle bellies. Perform ankle range of motion activities while maintaining pressure through calf musculature (Pin & Stretch).
- Following self “smashing” technique, sit the kettle bell upright and place calf on the handle.
- Cross other leg on top, then move side to side, continuing to mobilize the calf musculature. Work from the Achilles insertion all the way to the top of the calf.
- Perform for 2 minutes each.
- Tenderness is typically indicative of “tightness.” This is good for neural down regulation of “tight” musculature and neural tension.
- Follow this up with stretching.
- If you’ve just had surgery and are experiencing calf pain, do not perform this. Get medical clearance.
- Soft tissue mobilization, ankle mobility